Saturday, September 6, 2008

Eat your heart out, The White Stripes

Ladytron has a new album out, but you already knew this. I mean, I hope you did, I want to remain friends and everything. Velocifero definitely comes from that phase in a young band's life where they're experimenting, trying new things, tweaking their sound. As such it's a little uneven, although it's hard to deny a dance floor rocker like "I'm Not Scared" or the haunting strains of "Predict the Day".

But Ladytron is out to prove that they are still the coolest nerds around. Exhibit A, this hypnotic video for the otherwise indifferent track "Runaway". Resolved: to wear a lot more stripes. Somewhere, Jack White is sobbing quietly in a corner. If only he'd thought of this.

Ladytron-Runaway (Myspace Exclusive)

I've noticed that recently lead singer Helen Marnie seems intent on reclaiming the title of The Hot One. I've always been a Mira Aroyo guy myself (she has a PhD in Molecular Genetics!), but I have to admit that the video for "Ghosts" puts some points up for Helen's team. Plus, you know, spooky rabbits.



(OK I've just figured out what the common thread is here. It's those damn pixie haircuts. They're too freaking irresistible. Helen, call me.)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Okay, you've convinced me to finally move this to the top of my new music rotation. You had me at spooky rabbits. Spooky. Rabbits. On a side note, I've worn white in the past and never experienced the spontaneous growth of stripes - was I just not standing close enough to a Korg synthesizer?